After you complete your orthodontic treatment, our orthodontist will provide you with a retainer. This oral appliance is custom-made to fit your teeth and smile perfectly and works to keep your teeth in their newly straightened positions so that you can maintain a beautiful smile. Dr. Michael Cook uses a state-of-the-art iTero® digital scanner to create your retainer, taking scans of your teeth and mouth, which are kept on record in case your retainer is later damaged or lost. We also offer a new smile warranty during the first year wearing your retainer to help you keep your smile aligned and beautiful. Call Cook Orthodontics today at 801-523-2509 to find out more and schedule an appointment!
When you receive your retainer, our orthodontist and team will provide you with instructions on how to wear and take care of it. We recommend that you:
- Wear your retainer at all times unless instructed otherwise by our orthodontist.
- Take your retainer out when eating.
- Clean your retainer daily with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Keep your retainer in a case when not wearing it (such as when eating) to prevent pets from chewing on it or other accidents from occurring.
- Practice speaking, reading or singing out loud to get used to wearing your retainer and adjust to speaking with it in your mouth.
- Your retainer is breakable, so treat it with care and call us immediately if your retainer is broken or lost.
- Bring your retainer to us if it needs adjustments. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Remove your retainer if you go swimming.
- Keep your retainer away from hot water, hot car dashboards, the washing machine, napkins and pockets.
Your retainer can last for years if properly cared for. Give us a call if you have any questions or to learn more about retainers in Sandy, Utah!